missed travel endorsements

If you forgot to bring in your I-20 or DS-2019 for a travel endorsement before leaving the U.S., please read below for your options at this time.


Where can I find my travel endorsement?

I-20: Last section of page 2
DS-2019: Bottom, right-hand area on page 1

Questions for Travel endorsement

  • Have you received a travel endorsement from ISSS on your I-20 or DS-2019 recently?
    • Each travel endorsement is valid for up to 12 months (6 months for F-1 OPT). You may use your current I-20 or DS-2019 if the endorsement is less than 12 months old when you re-enter and the information on page one remains the same.
  • Will your passport be valid for at least six months when you enter the country?
    • Your passport must be valid on the date you enter the U.S. F-1 and J-1 students whose country is not on the passport agreement list must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the date of entry.
  • Will your F-1/J-1 U.S. entry visa be valid when you return?
    • If not, you will need to apply for a renewal at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country.
      NOTE: Canadian citizens do not require a U.S. entry visa
  • Are you still in the same program of study? Is your source of funding still the same?
    • If not, you will need to apply for a new I-20 or DS-2019. If the change in your program of study is effective in a future semester, then you may use your current I-20 or DS-2019 as long as it has a valid travel signature.

If your travel endorsement is outdated, or you forgot to pick-up your I-20 or DS-2019 at ISSS, you should request a reprinted document following the instructions below.

Requesting a Reprint

In order for ISSS to reprint your I-20 or DS-2019 for travel purposes, please fill out the appropriate application below. Please remember to include a return mailing address in your application. If you need a travel signature, please choose "travel" as the reason for the reprint request. If you lost your I-20, you should choose "lost" as the reason.

Download instructions for using reprint e-form

Mailing Options

If you would like your document shipped to you, please visit mailing options. You will be able to indicate your mailing preference in the e-form.

What if I do not have enough time to receive a new document?

If your travel plans do not allow enough time for us to ship a new document to you, then you must either change your anticipated return date, or travel without a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you choose the latter option, it is most likely that the Customs and Border Protection officer at Port of Entry will issue you with an I-515 form. This form will allow you temporary admittance to the US for a period of 30 days. In this 30 days you must visit ISSS, receive an updated travel signature, then submit the I-515 form to the address provided on the I-515. You would then be allowed to remain in the US as normal. Please note however that receiving an I-515 is at the discretion of the CBP officer and cannot be guaranteed by ISSS. In rare occasions you may be denied entry to the US, and you should be aware of this risk before travelling.

Planning Ahead

In the future, we strongly recommend that you bring your document to our office as early as possible before traveling. You are welcome to drop off your document at our office any time during the year, and pick it up the next business afternoon.

We also have "Express Endorsements" throughout the year, normally at the end of each semester. During these times, an ISSS advisor will sign your document for you immediately. Please check your e-mail or our website for exact dates and times.

Recent News

Calendar & Workshops