mobiles menu toggle


Temporary Housing

Students may choose to review this Google map to see the various locations of local hotels near the university. We recommend using the address of the Illini Union as a central campus location to use in relation with accommodation options: 1401 W. Green Street, Urbana, Illinois, 61801.

All students arriving on campus 30 days prior to the start of classes may be able to stay with University Housing. Housing is available at Illinois Street Residence Hall and the cost is $40 per night for a shared room only. The charges will be applied to the student’s student account and cannot be paid for with a credit/debit card. Please review University Housing website for more information.

Students may contact the Housing office by calling (217) 333-7111 or e-mail at, with specific questions about your accommodation. Luggage cannot be shipped prior to arrival.

University Housing

Undergraduate Students

An application and a contract form for a space in one of the university residence halls was enclosed with your notice of admission. You may also choose to submit a contract online after you are admitted. Please visit the University Housing website for more information.

Single Graduate Students

For information and an application to live in a room in one of the university graduate residence halls visit the University Housing website.

Students with Families

Some university apartments are available for students whose spouse or child(ren) are with them. Lease applications with the Family and Graduate Housing should be made at least six months in advance.

Contract Information

The contract for the university residence halls is a legally binding document. If you sign a housing contract and you register at the university, you must pay rent on that room for the entire academic year, even if you decide to live somewhere else. Lease applications can be found and submitted on the University Housing website. For information about rates and to access important Housing forms, please visit the University Housing Forms and Documents page.

Private Certified Housing

The university also has many Private Certified Housing options that are certified by the university for all students, including freshmen. These facilities are part of the university's housing program.

Private Housing

If you are currently renting or looking to rent an apartment, the Office of Off-Campus Community Living (OCCL) can help! OCCL helps search for suitable housing, provides landlord complaint records, and can review your lease with you. Visit the OCCL website for more information.