mobiles menu toggle

Adding Dependents

International students on F-1 and J-1 status may add dependents in F-2 or J-2 status if their dependents are a legal spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21.

Dependents may obtain F-2 or J-2 status and travel to the United States with F- 1 or J-1 primary status holders. Dependents may also join an F-1 or J-1 student who is already studying in the United States.

Adding Dependents to Student Record

International students who want to request an I-20 or DS-2019 for a spouse or a child must complete the “Add Dependent” form in iSTART.

If a dependent is abroad before beginning F-2 or J-2 status, the dependent may use their I-20 or DS-2019 to apply for an F-2 or J-2 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Dependents who are already in the United States in another valid status may change status within the United States, if eligible. If you have a question about changing status, please schedule an appointment with ISSS.

Steps to Add Dependents

  1. Log in to iSTART with your NetID and password.
  2. Find the “Add Dependent” e-form under “Student Services”.
  3. Complete the Financial Information section and upload proof of funding.
  4. Complete student information and dependent information, including the dependent’s passport.
  5. Certify and Submit request. ISSS will process your request in 5 business days unless more information is needed for follow-up.

Employment & Study

  • F-2 dependents are not permitted to work in the United States.
  • F-2 dependents may study part-time. An F-2 dependent may only study full-time if attending Kindergarten through 12th grade.
  • J-2 dependents are permitted to work part-time or full-time once they obtain an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). J-2 dependents may also study part-time or full-time.

Additional Information

Once the F-1 or J-1 primary has completed his or her program and leaves the United States, F-2 or J-2 dependents must leave with the F-1 or J-1 primary.