These instructions are intended for undergraduate students who are resuming studies at the University of Illinois after an academic absence.
- Graduate students who are resuming the same program within a year of taking a leave of absence should use the Resuming Studies e-form in iStart.
- Graduate students who want to resume their program after having been away for more than a year must contact their home department first to initiate re-admission to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Graduate College will issue the new I-20 for resuming studies.
If you wish to return to the University of Illinois to resume your studies:
- You must first contact your College to indicate your wish to resume studies:
COLLEGES (partial list)
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) - (please route e-form to Gretchen Pein in LAS)
Attention to students in LAS: The College must first approve your petition to re-enter the University for the semester requested. Once the petition is approved, the College will sign off on the Resuming Studies e-form and submit it to ISSS.
- Division of General Studies (DGS)
- College of Engineering (please select 'Engineering Administration (undergraduate)' from the drop-down menu in the form)
- College of Business
Attention to students in Business: The College must first approve your petition to re-enter the University for the semester requested. Once the petition is approved, the College will sign off on the Resuming Studies e-form and submit it to ISSS.
- College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
Attention to students in ACES: The College must first approve your petition to re-enter the University for the semester requested. Once the petition is approved, the College will sign off on the Resuming Studies e-form and submit it to ISSS.
Once you have received approval from your college, you may then apply for a new I-20 or DS-2019. Please follow the instructions below to apply for a return from academic absence at ISSS.
I-20/DS-2019 Application Steps
- Complete the student section of the Resuming Studies at the University of Illinois e-form in iStart.
- If you have reactivated your netID and password:
- If you have NOT reactivated your netID and password, you may still access the e-form:
- Call ISSS (217-333-1303) or send us an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) to let us know that you would like to access the e-form via "limited services". Please also provide a valid non-UIUC e-mail address. You will then be granted access to Limited Services.
- Log into iStart and choose LIMITED SERVICES
- Click “Email me my PIN”
- Enter your UIN
- Check your e-mail account for PIN number
- Use the PIN when you log back in to LIMITED SERVICES, along with your UIN and DOB. You’ll see the Resuming Studies e-form under "F-1 Student Services" or "J-1 Student Services".
- Once you've filled out all of your information, you will need to route the form to your academic advisor by choosing the appropriate name from the drop-down menu. Once your advisor completes the form, they will submit it to ISSS. The new I-20 or DS-2019 will be ready in 5 business days from the date your advisor submits the form, if the application is complete.
Please visit our mailing options page for more information about having documents sent to you.
Visit Calculating Funding for more information about expenses and funding.
- a. Family or personal funds - you must supply us with an affidavit of support (for personal sponsors) and a bank statement showing the amount in US dollars. The statement should have been issued within the last six months.
b. A sponsoring agency - ask that a letter be sent to ISSS specifying the amount of money that you will receive and the duration of the scholarship. If the University will be billing your sponsor directly for tuition and fees, ask that your sponsor provide a billing authorization to the University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations.
If you are unsure about how much funding is required for your program, please contact ISSS.
Because your new I-20 will be issued to you under a new SEVIS ID you must get a new entry visa and pay the one-time SEVIS fee of $180 for J-1's and $200 for F-1's (changed from $100 as of 10/27/08). This fee needs to be paid before applying at a U.S. embassy for an entry visa online at www.fmjfee.com or by submitting form I-901 with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency or at a Western Union that offers the I-901 QuickPay service. Canadian citizens must also pay this fee prior to entering the U.S.
If you have been absent from the U.S. for LESS than five months and your previous F-1 entry visa has not expired, you can enter using it. In all other circumstances you will be required to obtain a new F-1 entry visa. For more information on applying for a new visa, please visit this page.
Upon arrival to campus
- Report to ISSS with your immigration documents immediately upon your return in order to have your F-1 or J-1 status validated. U.S. immigration law requires us to report your arrival on campus, verify your status, and update copies of your visa documents for our records.
- Report to your academic department to inform them of your arrival.
NOTE: You will only be able to register for courses after you have contacted your department about returning to the University.
NOTE: Failure to report to ISSS will result in termination of your F-1 or J-1 status.
NOTE: You will have to spend at least one academic year in F-1 status prior to applying for practical training permission.