mobiles menu toggle

Student Interns

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign uses the J-1 Student Intern category for undergraduates from academic institutions abroad coming to the United States to do research. The maximum duration for this category is 12 months. All individuals in this J-1 category must be engaged in a student internship (they cannot pursue ordinary employment or fulfill a labor need) and must perform internship-related tasks at least 32 hours per week. Student Interns may hold either paid or unpaid internships, and may or may not hold an appointment with the university.

With any J-1 request for the Student Intern category, written, formal documentation from the home institution must be included. The documentation must state:

  • The individual is enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree at an accredited college/university abroad; AND
  • The individual is considered “in good standing” with the institution; AND
  • The internship at the university meets educational objectives for the degree program.

Also, a DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan must be completed for each Student Intern. The information needed to complete the DS-7002 will be collected through the DS-2019 request in iSTART. The information will be reviewed by an ISSS advisor, and then the completed DS-7002 will be provided to the department for signatures. The department must collect signatures from both the Student Intern and the faculty host, and then return the signed document to ISSS. Only after receiving the fully signed DS-7002 may ISSS issue the DS-2019. The Student Intern will need both the DS-2019 and the DS-7002 when applying for a visa and entering the United States.


For all Student Interns, a final evaluation by the department will be required. For internships of more than six months, a midpoint evaluation will also be required. The evaluation form must be completed by the faculty host and signed by both the host and the Student Intern. Please use the following forms and submit completed evaluations to our office via email.