Fall Undergraduate Orientation
Welcome to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign! As you prepare for arrival, please review this page and keep the following important dates in mind.
- Undergraduate International Student Orientation Begins: Monday, August 17, 2020 at 8:30am
ISSS is closely monitoring the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. As the situation continues to change rapidly, our top priority remains the health, safety, and well-being of our ILLINI community, on and off campus. We are planning for several contingency scenarios and taking decisive, informed action to limit the spread of COVID-19 while ensuring the continuity of our Orientation Programs. The University remains open and operational with appropriate measures to protect the health of the community. We will continue to update the community regularly to keep you informed of additional measures and tentative schedules.
- Highlights of the Program
- Overview of the Orientation Program
- Daily Educational Sessions
- Daily Social Events
- The Chancellor’s Reception
- Campus Housing & Early Move-In
- Parent & Family Programs
- Contact Us
Highlights of the Program
- The opportunity to purchase a cell phone and open a bank account
- Small groups led by an Orientation Leader who is an experienced student
- Scheduled time to complete the required ISSS check-in
- Scheduled time to complete the required McKinley Health Center Check-In
- Get your student ID
- Campus Tours
- Transition into Welcome Days Programming with Domestic and International Students
Overview of the Orientation Program
International Student and Scholar Services collaborates with New Student Programs to host the undergraduate orientation program in August. The orientation program is four days long and the goals are to welcome new undergraduate international students; to assist with acclimation to campus life and culture; and to provide an opportunity for students to meet other international and domestic students.
Students who participate in this program will be assigned to small groups with 10-15 other new students and will be lead throughout the program by an Orientation Leader. The Orientation Leaders are current international and domestic students. They will help new students complete ISSS check-in, McKinley Health Center check-in and will teach new students about living in central Illinois!
Daily Educational Sessions
- Maintaining your Visa Status and Your Work Options
- Be Prepared, Be Alert, Stay Safe: Campus Safety
- Learn How the Office of the Dean of Students can help you
- Academic Expectations for Undergraduate Students
- Money, Money, Money: Student Financial Services
- And more!
The Chancellor’s Reception
The Chancellor of the University of Illinois will welcome all new international students to the University of Illinois. There will be cookies, cheese, crackers, and the opportunity to meet fellow new students, faculty and administrators.
Campus Housing & Early Move-In
The International Orientation program is free for all students but if you choose to move into your housing assignment early, there will be a charge. Moving in early will allow you to get acclimated to your new community and, if living in University Residences, you will have a meal plan for those few days. For more information about early move-in, please visit the University Housing website.
Parent & Family Programs
We encourage all parents and family members to attend our session specifically designed for you. If you will be accompanying your student on campus in August, please plan to attend the parent program.
Please also visit our Resources for Parents page for more information.