student health insurance

DISCLAIMER: The information below has been provided by the Student Health Insurance Office. All questions about insurance should be directed to this office as ISSS staff cannot advise on insurance-related questions.

frequently asked questions

What is Student Insurance?
In the United States health care costs can be very high, beyond what students have the resources to pay for on their own.  The Student Insurance is a plan offered by the University of Illinois designed to help pay for the costs of health care. 

Why do I need to have Student Insurance?

The University Of Illinois Board Of Trustees requires that all students have some form of health insurance in order to offset the possible costs of care. 

Are all students eligible for the insurance?  
Most students that are registered for a non-zero amount of credit and are also not registered in absentia are eligible for the Student Insurance.  If you have questions about whether or not your registration is of the above type, contact the Office of the Registrar at 217-333-0210.

How much does it cost?
The insurance fee (also called the “premium”) is assessed once per semester and is $397 for undergraduates and $508 for graduate students. 

How do I early enroll in the insurance?

During the enrollment change period at the beginning of each semester, all students wishing to early enroll in the student insurance should go to and click on the link entitled “enrollment form”, then filling out said form.  Students who do not fill this form out will be automatically enrolled in the student insurance following the enrollment change period unless they opt out (discussed below.)

Can I have the insurance during semesters in which I’m not registered for classes?
Yes.  As long as it directly follows a semester in which you were registered as a student AND enrolled in the insurance, you may do an extension of coverage during any semester in which you are not registered for classes.  This normally occurs during the summer semester, but may also be used during other terms that meet the above conditions. 

What does it pay for?
The Student Insurance is a comprehensive indemnity plan and so pays for a wide variety of health care services.  For a detailed breakdown students may go to scroll to bottom of page and download the appropriate policy brochure for Undergrads or for Grads.  Services of note that are NOT covered by the plan include basic vision and dental care.

How do I use it to pay for my health care?
When you receive care from a hospital, clinic, or private provider they will ask to see your insurance card (discussed below.) They will then use the information on your card to bill the cost of the services to your insurance.  Once the insurance has paid, the hospital or provider will send you a bill for the remainder (the “patient responsibility”.)

How can I receive reimbursement for health care services (vaccinations, birth control, etc.) that I pay for out of pocket?
When you receive services like those mentioned above from the McKinley Student Health Center, or an outside clinic, the nurse/pharmacist will provide you with an itemized receipt.  In order to receive reimbursement for the charges, you must send a copy of this receipt, with the SR ID# from your insurance card written on the top, by mail to:
UnitedHealthcare StudentResources
PO BOX 809025
Dallas, Texas

How do I print off my insurance card?
To print off your insurance card, you first must make sure that you are enrolled in the coverage for that semester.  This can be done during the enrollment change period by going to and clicking on the link entitled “enrollment form”.  Once this is completed, you can login to MyAccount on the same page and print off your insurance card.

How do I include my spouse/children on my insurance?
Once you have enrolled for the semester using the enrollment form online you may access your MyAccount as mentioned above at the site and find the tab for adding dependents as well as making payment for that semester’s coverage.  This process must be completed during the enrollment change period at the beginning of each semester.  If you acquire a dependent outside of the enrollment change period dates, you must call United Healthcare Customer Service at 1-888-224-4883 within 31 days to establish that status and make payment for their coverage. 

What are the coverage dates/deadlines for the Student Insurance?
The Fall 2017 coverage runs from August 26, 2017 to January 12, 2018. The enrollment change period for the Fall 2017 semester is August 24, 2017 to September 26, 2017. The Spring 2018 coverage runs from January 13, 2018 to May 11, 2018. The enrollment change period for the Spring 2018 semester is January 11, 2018 to February 14, 2018. The Summer 2018 coverage runs from May 12, 2018 to August 25, 2018. The enrollment change period for the Summer 2018 semester is May 10, 2018 to June 12, 2018.

Can I opt out if I already have other insurance?
Yes.  In order to opt out of the student insurance you must fill out the “waiver form” found at prior to the end of the enrollment change period at the start of the semester.  The waiver form will ask a few questions to establish the nature and extent of your other insurance.  International students will be required to provide documentation of their insurance in person at the Student Health Insurance Office.  This documentation must be in English, with amounts given in American dollars, and should show both the dates of coverage, as well as the total monetary amount of coverage per illness/injury. 

What is the deadline for the waiver form/documentation?
As mentioned above, the waiver form must be completed prior to the end of the enrollment change period at the beginning of the semester in which you are seeking to waive coverage.  This period normally runs for approximately four weeks at the start of each semester, at the start of each semester, and once the waiver is completed it is good for the remainder of the academic year. 

If I have opted out of the student insurance in the past, can I be reinstated?
Yes.  Reinstatements can be done in person at the Student Health Insurance Office, and can happen one of two ways:  1) If for any reason you lose the other insurance in favor of which you opted out of the student coverage, you have 63 days from the last day of coverage to reinstate.  This can be done at any time during the year, provided you are registered for classes during the semester in which you are seeking reinstatement. You will need to bring in a letter of termination.  2)  If it has been more than 63 days since loss/termination of other insurance, reinstatement must be done in person during the enrollment change period of a semester in which you are registered for classes. 

Does the Student Insurance coverage comply with the requirements of the Affordable Care Act?
Yes.  The Student Insurance meets all responsibilities under the ACA, and those students have the coverage will not be penalized.

Where is the Student Health Insurance Office located?
The Student Health Insurance Office is located at:
1109 S. Lincoln Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801


Recent News

Calendar & Workshops