Some requests in iStart ask for students to verify funding sources for their expenses. For some requests, students may also be asked to submit proof of funding.
Expenses on your I-20 or DS-2019 may include the following:
- Tuition and Fees
- Living expenses
- Dependent expenses (spouse and children)
Funding is usually calculated for one year for F-1 students and for the duration of the program for J-1 students. Information about the required expenses for a student's program is available in the specific e-form. Students can also contact the Office of the Registrar for more information about expenses.
Please see guidlines below when submitting documentation for funding.
- Funding should be liquid
- Proof of funding document should have been issued in the last 6 months (some exceptions apply)
- Proof of funds should be in USD (let ISSS know if this is not possible)
- Should clearly state account holder's name
- Should show account number
- Should be in English
Letters from departments (assistantships, etc.):
- Should be on unit letterhead
- Should clearly show name and signature of person who signed form
- If appointment is renewable, this should be clearly indicated in the letter. Otherwise, ISSS will only be able to calculate for the time period listed in the letter
- Should either have a monthly or yearly stipend/salary listed
- If monthly, make sure the letter also indicates how many months out of the year the student is paid (i.e. 9,11,12)
IMPORTANT: If uploading multiple sources of funding into the iStart e-form, please combine documents into one PDF document to upload.
Students who have questions about their expenses, funding, or documentation for funding should contact ISSS.